Chasing After...

1

Category : , , ,


This weekend I'll be heading home to Franklin, TN for a family reunion and the opportunity to see my grandfather after his recent surgery to remove a cancerous tumor from outside of his colon. I should be a great time to see a few cousins, visit with my aunt, but most importantly, to see him.
To get the point, my grandfather is my hero, the reason that I do so much of what I do. He embodies gentle strength.  Prior to college he served in Army, stationed in South Carolina.  After getting out he became a coach (for baseball and football, although he also served as a track coach when needed and started the wrestling program at Franklin High School, for which is was honored with induction into their sports Hall of Fame earlier this year). Coaches and drill sergeants tend to give full vent to their anger, but I have NEVER seen my grandfather yell at anyone. He has always seemed to lead by example.
I lived at my grandparents' house for about 2 years when I was 13-14. During that time I learned a lot, simply by watching him live.  Through middle school and high school my grandparents attended almost every sporting event I was ever involved in.  In middle school I ran track, and he came out to teach me and a friend how to do the high jump and run hurdles. I came to almost every school soccer game I ever played (from middle school-high school) even though he probably still can't explain offsides or many of the other rules.  He even traveled to cross-country meets, some that were a couple of hours from home. Why, to watch the number 5 or 6 runner from BGA make his way through the 3.1 mile course.
It's dedication, its love, its pride. It's what makes me a runner. I hope I have what it takes to chase after him.

1 comments:

Kenley said...

Great Post man. I hope and pray that your Grandpa is doing ok. I remember staying at my grandparents when I was young. Though my grandpa was a step grandpa, he was still cool. I did Track and Field in High school my freshman year, and quit afterwards. My parents never came to any of my track sessions. I am thinking if I had more support I would have kept at it, running a mile in 4.38 is pretty fast, but I gave up. I am glad that you had that support from your grandfather when you were young. Keep at it. I think You have already lived up to him by just doing what you are doing now.

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails